Human Concerns Commission
The Human Concerns Commission discerns the needs of people in the parish and wider community – especially the poor – and identifies resources to meet those needs enlisting the active cooperation of parish members.
1. Discern the social needs of various groups within the parish and the wider community, especially the poor. Formulate short-term goals and long-range plans.
2. Develop services and programs to meet the needs, and/or identify resources and make referrals to already existing Church agencies and community groups.
3. Involve others in actively accepting the responsibility of their Baptism to help people in need and to work for justice.
4. Support those in the parish already involved in service to the poor and to those in need.
5. Develop parish-wide consciousness of social problems in the community and the word, from a “consistent life ethic” approach.
6. Respond to needs through these approaches:
a. Direct service
b. Social action
c. Justice education